Skip to Main Content
Navigated to International Students.

International Students

Lehman College is authorized under federal law to admit nonimmigrant-alien students. At Lehman, an "international student" is defined as any person studying in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for admission of international students, except for nationals of English-speaking countries. The required minimum TOEFL score is 500 for admission to Lehman and is higher in most fields. Information may be obtained from TOEFL/ Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151. Residents of English-speaking countries are exempt from taking the test.

All students on F-I or J-I visas must be full-time students every semester, carrying a course load of at least 9 credits, to qualify for and maintain this visa status. Form I-20 or IAP-66 will be issued to full-time students who have provided the required financial documentation to the Office of Admissions and have been admitted to the College. Qualified nonimmigrant aliens holding B (visitor) visas who wish to attend or have started attending Lehman College must apply through the International Student Adviser for a change of status to F (student) visa two months before their current B visa expires. The International Student Certification Officer can provide necessary documentation of the student's status at Lehman.

The College will not be responsible for any interruption and/or termination of studies and will not refund tuition or fees should the student be unable to obtain the required student visa or transfer and be required to leave the country before the end of a term. Students concerned about their status may consult with the International Student Certification officer as soon as possible.

All prospective or new International Students with student visas must consult the International Student Certification Officer before registration. The officer will inform students about immigration regulations and procedures, currency exchange, off-campus housing, and related matters of special concern to international students.